Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Get the Facts and Protect Your Family

January 17, 2014 @ 10:11 AM
posted by Wender & Roberts

carbon-monoxideCarbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil and methane) burn incompletely. Each year, carbon monoxide poisoning claims approximately 480 lives in the U.S. and sends another 15,200 people to the hospital for treatment.

Be sure to install a carbon monoxide detector in the hallway of your home near sleeping areas. Avoid corners where air doesn’t circulate. (Don’t buy a CO alarm in place of a smoke detector. Have both in your home.)

Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, sleepiness and confusion. If you suspect CO poisoning, get to fresh air immediately, and then call 9-1-1.

Treat the alarm signal as a real emergency each time. If the alarm sounds and you are not experiencing any symptoms described above, press the reset button. If the alarm continues to sound, leave the house and call the fire department. When it comes to carbon monoxide poisoning, it’s better to be safe than sorry.

— Source: American Red Cross

 

Comments are closed.